The Fluid community is an international group of designers, developers, volunteers, and advisers who focus on a common mission: improving the user experience of community and open source web applications. To accomplish this goal, Fluid addresses the issue of user experience on all levels.
- User Interface -- combining both design and technology to create a living library of sharable user interface components
- Design -- providing a Design Handbook (for designers and developers alike) including tools and techniques that are easy to use, learn, and modify
- Education -- giving demonstrations and teaching others at conferences and meetings
- Culture -- documenting and making publicly available community processes to support an agile approach to design and development in a community source project
The Fluid products:
- Facilitate more rapid and effective development of both tools and user interfaces within community source projects
- Improve the user interface of applications
- Help address diverse needs including needs related to ability, language, culture, and institutional conventions
- Demonstrate good practices and techniques for addressing usability issues
The community's solutions are all built specifically to support flexibility, customization, and accessibility while maintaining a high standard of design quality. These products will enable designers and developers to build user interfaces that can more readily accommodate the diverse personal and institutional needs found within community source projects.